Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mindful Challenge - Day 2

Mindful Ground Living mindfully

I love the simplicity of today's challenge - just notice and observe the breath.  No need to change it, improve it, slow it down, deepen it, in through the nose, out through the mouth, chant a mantra, sit in any particular location - just notice and observe.  I can do that!

My first try of the morning was judgy.  "Ew - what is that smell?" followed by "I need to blow my nose."  And then I was off to eliminate the smell and get a kleenex.  

But as I completed these little tasks, I thought about my awareness.  It's not just about being aware of butterflies and daisies.  It's awareness of it all - the smells and your mundane needs as well.  And I can learn to not judge or resist, just notice and choose a response.

As I went through my day, I found myself pausing before I would normally drift into one of my trusty procrastination stand-bys.  Before I wandered the internet, noticing and observing my breath led to hanging out with my son on the couch instead.  Before I went to the fridge for an unnecessary snack, noticing and observing my breath led to unloading the dishwasher instead.  Before I reached for another caffeine reload, noticing and observing my breath led to jumping into a decluttering project I'd been procrastinating.

I've been trying to get myself to meditate for a few minutes before these go-tos, but I couldn't make myself.  But when all I have to do is notice and observe - that's easy!  And to my surprise, it worked well today!

No comments:

Post a Comment